doctorwayne's Spring Bash Challenge II...
After a lengthy interruption for other projects and some non-train stuff, I'm finally back to work on this project, although I doubt that it'll be finished before the deadline.
I decided to modify the floor and underframe further, as I want the end ladders to be permanently installed. Normally this would make the body shell and floor inseparable, a problem if one ever needs to replace window "glass", so I decided to segment the floor:

When final assembly is done, the short ends with their attached platforms will be cemented in place, then the end ladders and other details added. The centre floor section, with the trucks and brake gear, will be affixed using screws, allowing the shell to be opened for any future repairs.

In order to begin construction of the ladders, the roofwalk needed to be installed. I used a cast plastic one from Tichy, representing an open-grid steel type - a fairly modern innovation in the '30s. My first attempt expanded on the style of the stock Athearn roofwalk, with the lateral platforms even with the main roofwalk and level all the way out to the car's eaves:

However, to my eye this looked awkward and too bulky, so it was re-done in a style similar to that used on most boxcars:

Also visible in the latter photo is the slightly re-worked end sill, which included moving the mounting position for the power handbrake housing closer towards the coupler pocket - this is to accommodate the width of the ladder, which will be mounted at the left side of the platform.

Next up, building the end ladders.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread