The Quality of train shows today
Sumpter250 Wrote:There are three "shows" that are annual offerings in my area. The Dupage County show,( aka "the junk show" ) is a swap meet type show, but is predominantly trains, all scales, with a heavier influence on Lionel. I've found and bought several brass locos there.
The High Wheeler train show, Harper college, Palatine Illinois, is more of a layout show with some vendors, mostly train related.
Trainfest, Milwaukee,Wi., is probably the largest display layout show in the nation. There are manufacturers, and vendors, but mostly operating layouts, and trains. Z,N,HO,S,O,large scale, live steam.

The High Wheeler show ( Fox Valley div. NMRA ) is this weekend Mar. 6-7, 9:00AM-5:00 PM. Admission, cash only Adults (13 and over) $7.00...Seniors over 65 $6.00, Kids 5-12 $2.00, under 5 free. I'm going to try to be out there on the 6th. This is the 32nd year for this show.

The last time I went to the "Junk Show". I thought it was pretty good. Of course, I had been there before and it was an annoying experience.
I came across alot of good deals, and even managed to source someone who does custom ho painting. His prices are very fair, and from the examples he had displayed, the quality was superb. I also managed to locate alot of items I can not seem to find at the LHS or Walthers, lot's of Pere Marquette offerings. Most where discontinued items, but they where complete and most still had the original box.
There were quite a few "Flea Market" vendors there too, but not so many that it took the focus off the trains.

There is another one in the Champaign/Urbana area. I don't recall the name off the top of my head, but it is strictly 2 rail modeling. If it does not meet that criteria it is not allowed in. I have never been to this show, but I would love to go.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.

Messages In This Thread