The Quality of train shows today
(Part II)

Then there were the layouts. When I was in marching band, we recognized a rating system for contests - Superior, Excellent, Good, Fair, and Poor. Let's rate the layouts/clubs, shall we? The best-in-show by far with a strong Superior rating was the Z scale group. Following close behind, also with a Superior was the Large Scale group. There were no Excellents. The N-scale group gets a 'Good'. The HO groups fared worst of all, with Fairs and Poors.

Now they're all winners because they participated. But we knew in band that the groups or individuals receiving Fairs and Poors sure felt like losers. But what separates the categories? Here are my criteria for judging.

Were there trains running? The Superior groups had trains running constantly, and spread around the layout so that no matter when you approached it and from what direction there was action. The HO and N groups did not have trains running when we first got there. It appeared that some technical glitch was stopping the running which brings us to...

Was everything running smoothly? This is where the Z scalers edged out the Large Scale group. The large scalers had a few loco and rolling stock issues, which when coupled with a lack of attention (possibly due to the large layout?) made for some locos-pushing-cabeese situations. The N and HO groups were still fiddling with track and wiring, etc. holding up the whole shooting match.

Did they interact with the public? Here's where one HO group lost points then gained them back. The layout featured printed 8-1/2x11 signs all around the backdrop with various "can you find the..." questions. Fine. But what shot it down were the phrases like "Trains are like Wives, if it ain't yours, don't touch it!" and a drawing of a voluptuous woman reclining along with the text. I'm sorry, but that barely belongs on a bumper sticker. IMO, it's crude and unneccessary. If your members want to joke about such things after the club at the local pub, fine, just leave it out of the general public, especially with kids around. That goes for the "Can you find the naked sunbathers" question too. Tasteless and worn.

Now that same group was the only one at the show to invite me to their club open house and meetings. The fellow doing it wasn't running a train (I hope) and was almost apologetic in his approach. But most of the members were too busy fixing things on the layout or rerailing derailed cars or griping to each other within earshot of the public, to actually smile at you - the best interaction you can offer. They weren't smiling because it was obvious they weren't having any fun. That goes for many of the dealers too.

The N scalers came close to an excellent but got edged out due to a particular problem with their layout - access. There was a turnback curve that created a traffic jam for viewing the tiny trains, especially with a wiggly three year old in tow. PLUS, their layout was one sided, that is, only one main viewing aisle. Kudos for their mainline grades, however.

What was NOT a criteria was modeling skill. I recognize there are veterans and novitiates alike in the same club. I'd hope there are so some of that valuable modeling skill can be passed on to the next generation. BUT, improvement was something I looked for, especially since I had just seen all of these groups less than a year ago. Some layouts actually looked worse. I can accept a work in progress as long as it's neat and presentable.

One HO club was working (re-working?) a yard there at the show and it was a disaster area of track, tools, etc. As my Disney castmember friend would say, "that's just bad show". Always put your best foot forward and never settle for mediocrity. Even a beginner can have a great module if he or she is willing to accept the standards of the club for presentation (cleanliness, painted sub-scenery, etc.) and operation.

I've been involved off and on with a club for a few years, and been to train shows throughout that time as a member and attender. And I'm getting tired of paying way too much to park, get in, and look at the same old crap shuffled around dingy tables by dirty dealers time after time. I have come to expect, sadly, the same level of mediocrity from the same old clubs.

I had hoped it'd be different up here in Washington State, but it's the same old show anywhere you go. I'd rather spend the money for parking and entry fee on shipping and handling or even gas to get me to my LHS 50 miles away. I can order just about anything online and if I really want the used schlock on the dingy tables I can get that on ebay. The shipping ain't that bad when you consider the alternative.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread