The Quality of train shows today
I can say what I've noticed as being three biggest problems with the younger generations is:

1. Video Game and gadget technology

2. Job demands for higher education

3. Parents lack parenting

Those being the huge barriers. I'll sum up what I'm saying since I don't want to write too much early in the morning.

1. Since most kids these days have an attention span of a gnat, brought on by technology like the internet giants like myspace/facebook/youtube and cellphones. As for computer and game consoles, it does provide the latest tech for in depth and attention grabbing experience out of other hobbies. It's the competition these days and trains can't hold up against them.

If you wanted to dig into a new hobby/interest and had model railroading on the list what would you rather play with? Trains or Lincoln Logs, Trains or silly putty/slinky/play doh, Trains or video games/internet... The model hobby is not as portable as the others, and kids these days with simplicity, portability, and the wow factor.

2. Jobs are getting harder to get into since the college craze started back in the Clinton era. Now a many number of companies assume the greatest requirement is having a bachelors degree, no matter what the position, this includes running around looking for parts in a warehouse. Now this affect forces kids out of high school to achieve college, in which kills more time and money to enjoy other things. On the other side, getting a higher paying job is not there anymore unless you have 4 years sunk into at school, and even that has failed since they now have fast track schools where you can get a BA in a year and a half.

3. Parents these days tend to forget at their kids, or so it very well seems, keeping them busy so they can do their own stuff. Best way to do it is to give them a video game, throw money at them (which I see the most) to shut them up. They don't spend time with them, and when they do it's not enough.

One of the most disgusting things I've seen is parents that force they're old interests in their kids, and they get repulsed by it, best example is sports. The more I've been to kids baseball games the more I see parents being the ones active and the kids not wanting to be there, The term living through your kids comes to mind.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.

Messages In This Thread