RobL's Layout
Hello all...

Thanks to everyone over the past year on the "other" board who gave me ideas and inspiration on getting my layout going... those who may remember, my wife and I were putting an addition on our house and one of the "benefits" was a new train room... we had a smaller raised ranch style house with very little space to build a train, well suffice to say, I finally got the room (and it is still not enough, but I digress!).

A little about me... I am 38 years old and live about 10 miles south of Buffalo, NY in the Village of Hamburg. I have been into model railroading since I was a kid... I built layouts growing up with my dad and have enjoyed the hobby in one way shape or form since. During the day I am a software engineer and at night enjoy playing roller and ice hockey while not working on my trains. (There is more than one way to let off steam in this world! ) Smile.

About my layout... well right now it is a pine and plywood jungle with most of the track in place. The goal is to model autumn in New England... lots of color. I originally wanted a double track, however, space did not permit that without resorting to 18" radius curves which I was dead set against doing... and double track is not seen in much of New England anyways. The layout is a sort of dogbone shape... my main interest is to work on scenery, not operations so the train going in a "circle" is OK with me. Along the back wall there will be a spot for a "downtown" area with storefronts and some light industry. Along the left side I expect this town to continue converging into a more rural setting. My thought is that loop of track will be enclosed in a tunnel. On the right side, I have placed a couple of bridges and I am not sure what I am thinking as of yet for scenery. Finally, there is space in the back corner for staging / a small yard. The layout is controlled by a Digitrax Super Chief system and I am also playing with JMRI on an old laptop connected to the Loconet via a Locobuffer USB.

Here are some pictures of the "first 30 days" of work on the layout:

Messages In This Thread