What dont you like about this hobby
Have you checked out the prices for A Plastic Kit!!! recently ???

I started out in this hobby, scratchbuilding, because what was available, cost more than I could afford.
I will, most likely," leave this hobby" (euphemism for "croak") the way I started, for the same reasons.
I chose Model Railroading, because it gave me the greatest variety of things I could build models of, and display them as a unified scene.
At one time, hobby shops would buy "older rolling stock/buildings/figures/etc." for pennies on the dollar, and sell them for no more than nickles on the dollar, as "used or abused"..........now ?!.....these things are "collectibles" !!!, and cost as much, if not more than, new! ??????

"what I don't like about this hobby" is, the assumption that you have to buy. My favorite models are the ones I have built from "recycled" materials. Yes, I do have some RTR locomotives.....and many locomotives from kits, and I do have a Digitrax Zephyr,(I don't have the desire to build a DCC base station), and I do have some sound (the reason for the DCC in the first place.

" built from "recycled" materials ".......like this:

The clear plastic cap from an old spray deoderant, a Ping Pong ball, a plastic shot glass (free sample at a liquor store), parts of some flash cubes, bits and pieces left over from old kits, etc.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread