Harbor scene... ideas?
In rail transport, the practice of carrying trailers or semi-trailers on a train atop a flatcar (intermodal freight transport) is referred to as "piggy-backing.

Did the semi-trailers get loaded onto the ships just like the containers do now or was the product shipped via break bulk cargo and then packed into the semi-trailers to board the train for their destinations? If so (trailers loaded onto ships)... anybody got a picture of the ship? I can find all kinds showing the more modern containers but none of the trailers. What kind of ship would have been used for this?

I've got 5 well cars with several containers but they are just a bit too modern... I think. Not sure when semi trailers phased out and crates started getting used. I'd prefer to go with the semi trailers though I've not got very many of those.

EDIT: Been reading about CONTAINER SHIPS and it seems that since my crates are 40'ers, they would have been used as early as 1956... just barely sneaking in there at the end of the transition era. Since I've only got two steam engines anyways, I could blow this whole theory and go more modern by running my steamers as special exhibitons. Argh, gotta think some more about what it is I want.

Messages In This Thread