Lionel Pennsy S-2
A friend from work asked if I could take this apart, clean it up and lube it. He thought that it was missing some part, mostly the drive rods. When I saw it, I had to explain that it was a model of the Pennsy S-2 turbine, and they looked like that.

It was his fathers and he remembers it going around the Christtmas tree. Searching the net, this model was offered between 1946 and 1949. There were three models, and reading two differnet websites, they both jived on the "spotting features" of each model year. This one is the run from 1949, and is suppose to have a "sound" tender with it.

My question is, what was the object of putting a Pennsy keystone with "6200" in it rather than the loco's number of "2020"?
Is it a "counterfit" mark like G.I. Joes left thumb? Are all the Lionel Pennsy models the same with the same keystone?

By the way, this loco is in pretty good shape. The drivers rotate freely, and the boiler is pretty fair with "normal" handling damage(scratches, few dents. The thing is a brute! I almost got a hernyia picking it up. If you have one, or know someone that does, this loco, in this shape is worth $250.00
Watch for an article on disassembly amd repair in the up-coming issue of the E-mag.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.

Messages In This Thread