One LARGE Project - Steel Mini Mill
It all started when I saw some DPM packets real cheap, I figured I'd buy them... well the pile got bigger and bigger. I figured I could start up on an idea I had for making a modernized steel making company. The modern aspect of steel making is made of Mini Mills, which heavily use scrap steel and the Electric Arc Furnace system for melting, ladle furnace for control, the continuous caster for semi finished shaping, reheating, and finally the rolling mill. Which the major chunk of the older style of steel making has been greatly reduced so has the production process.

I wanted to build a Mini Mill as part of the "master plan" for my layout (in the distant future) and since I model more of a modern age I could take advantage of this industry.

So far I planned out the center structure, a 44"X12"X10" building, this building would be re-used from a previous steel mill that stood in the same place, hence the brick building. It will house the continuous caster, which it'll butt up against another building holding the EAF and ladle furnace. The other end of the building will be the rolling mill and finished product staging/warehouse.

This project will take a while since I plan to work on it from time to time.

Some progress pics so far of the center building (continuous caster section)

[Image: DSC02439.jpg]

Semi complete building

[Image: DSC02458.jpg]

Frames for the roof

[Image: DSC02455.jpg]

Putting the windows in the sashes

[Image: DSC02469.jpg]

The whole building at an angle

[Image: DSC02443.jpg]

Size difference
Tom

Model Conrail