To DCC, or to not DCC
As some of you may be aware my original intent was to go DCC on my 4x8 layout. I planned to add decoders to my locos and choose a DCC system once the track work was done and tested. Bus since then, I have become unemployed and I have been re-evaluating priorities. When I eventually go back to work, funds will still be tight for a while - maybe a long while. DCC, even a cheaper system, may no longer make sense. I figure it would cost me about 400 dollars for the basic DCC system and decoders for all of my locos. That 400 dollars would be much better spent towards other things, unless I can convince myself that DCC is vital to the operation of my layout. My original intent with DCC was to make wiring simpler, and to not have to worry about blocks and throwing switches when operating my layout. This still appeals to me.

But, here are my criteria:
1) No more than 4 locomotives will be on the layout at one time, and I don't envision double headers. The layout is small enough that trains will be short, and idle locomotives will have to be kept in the roundhouse in order to be out of the way.
2) One operator. There is a possibility of having a train run the loop while another switches my upper yard.
3) I have zero interest in sound. ZERO. I also have little interest in extravagant lighting effects (this is a 1915-1920 era layout)

My question is this: Am I overlooking some other advantage to DCC? WIll the trains run better or more reliably? If there is a significant improvement in performance, it may be worth my limited money. Considering I could segment my layout into blocks rather cheaply and easily - I am hoping someone can give me reasons why DCC is still the way to go. If I choose DCC, it will probably be 2 years before I can afford it. If I stay with block/cab control DC, I can have things wired in a week. Thoughts?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread