Peco Insulfrog Nscale Turnout & Derailments
Is it just happening on my layout, or are others having occasional derailments when their engines or cars cross over a Peco turnout? On my layout, several of the engines will derail when entering a Peco turnout, and I haven't been able to figure out why. I'm matching up Atlas Code 80 to the Peco Code 80 track. Almost all the cars but a few traverse the turnout with no problems, while others, I guess with smaller flanges, derail unless they're going at a slow and steady speed. Same with the engines...some will hit the turnout and visibly jump up a bit while others don't have a problem. I'm guessing the ones who have the problem have a lower clearance over the turnout mechanism causing the bump.

I haven't tried going at them with a metal file to reduce the sharp edges, and I don't believe that's the issue here. More like the engines and cars are hitting the plastic housing that contains the actual switching mechanism. (I guess I could try to file that down just a bit and see how the rolling stock and engines run.) I also made sure none of the metal coupling pins were hitting any of the turnout components. A few of them were and would stop a train dead in its tracks.

Anyone else have this problem...or even better...a fix or idea to solve this?
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread