A Stone Barn Scratchbuild
Hi All! I am in the mood to scratchbuild something once again! This time I am going to try a New England stone barn.
Something similar to this photo. I am going to be doing this without any plans so it will be "imagin-eered" from the start using strictly materials I have on hand.

[Image: 001-2.jpg]

I am not sure yet exactly what I am looking for, so if anyone has some decent pics of stone barns either real or modeled I would really like to take a look! Please post if you have any in your archives. A half hour of Google searches did not yield too many images to use as a starting point. Most I found were were of distant landscapes, humongous stadium sized structures, modern businesses and homes remodeled from old barns etc. etc. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. I did notice that Irish and British style barns resemble closely their older American counterparts so that may be an avenue to explore as well.

For the stone work I will be using a product called Durham's Water Putty. Some modelers have used this as a medium to construct roads, parking lots etc. It sets up fairly quickly and once hardened can be scribed, primed and painted easily (similar to hydrocal or other plasters).

[Image: 002-2.jpg]

I made a test wall the other day. I took a piece of cardstock and made a simple frame of stripwood. I mixed the water putty(3 parts powder to 1 part water.) I sprayed the mold with a little wet water and poured in the mixture. I let it sit for about an hour and it popped right out of the mold nicely. Scribing the stonework was easily accomplished with the point of a #11 blade. I then tried to see if the wall could be cut for windows or doors and found that it broke when I tried it. So for the proposed structure, the openings will need framed out in the mold.

[Image: 003-2.jpg]

That's about it for today. I am eager to see how many of you will come through with some hints and tricks and tips as well as some ideas thrown in to boot! 2285_

Matt

Messages In This Thread