Scubadude's Summer 2010 Wood Cutter's Shack Challenge
OK, here we go with step one... Eek The wood for construction of the building frame, siding and trim has been separated into 3 bags. The first step will be to stain the wood, keeping each bag separate. The method of staining is going to be new to me. Instead of brushing or wiping on the stain, I am going to soak each bag in a separate container for varying times to get a variety of shades of wood.

The mixture is in an old spaghetti sauce jar consisting of approximately 20 oz water, a couple of teaspoons each of india ink, Polly Grimy Black, Polly Oily Black, and Polly Railroad Brown. I have poured enough stain in each container to cover the wood. After about 12 hours, I will check the shade in container 1 - if satisfactory, I will begin taking out random pieces from container 1 over the next few hours. After about 12 hours, I will repeat the process with container 2, after 24 hours repeat again with container 3. The goal is to have many different shades of the brown/gray mixture. After thorough drying, (several days) I will be ready for distressing the wood before assembly.

In the meantime, I will start painting and weathering all the zillions of details like tools, junk, etc......Update after staining is complete....anyone ever tried this method???

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191

Messages In This Thread