Scubadude's Summer 2010 Wood Cutter's Shack Challenge
P5se Camelback Wrote:Richard, do not take this the wrong way, as it is meant in the most friendly, helpful way.

I don't think "the consensus" was that the material on the roof was the wrong material; quite the contrary, it is a very common material for roof covering, especially in very rural areas. I believe the general feelings were merely that it does not appear to have been applied in something that approximates a prototypical fashion, even for someone with the combined high single-digit intelligence of the celebrated Hoffentoth Brothers.

Thank yew Mister Peein' Camel fer them more'n kind words 'bout our 'telligence, although my bruther would have to admit, after only a minor clobberin', that I'm the brains o' this outfit. (Hardly seems fair that I'd git both the smarts and the good looks. Wink I jest wish he'da learnt how to tell time insteada askin' me to read his fancy-pants watch alla time. Ma shoulda give it to me, but I think she sorta favours him on accounta his shortcomin's.)

P5se Camelback Wrote:But let's suppose that the Hoffentoth Brothers had stopped by to help cover the roof. It may, in the end, still looked pretty much as it currently does, except that my point earlier was, that since on both sides of the roof the tar paper application was started on the left and overlapped as successive sheets were applied, moving to the right, the roof was susceptible to weather damage.

The major problem with this method of tar paper installation is that after the next "big blow" of a wind and rain storm, and the side that was installed "against" the direction of the prevailing winds would in all likelyhood be back to the bare wood, as the wind would have lifted and stripped every sheet of roof covering the side on which each sheet of tar paper offered the open edge to the wind.

But, you know, it's entirely possible that the Hoffentoth Brothers already know this ... from first-hand experience. Misngth

Heck, we got more first-hand experience than you could shake at stick at - I bashed mine several times while roofin' our coal sheds, and ended-up finishing the job using my second hand. I woulda asked muh bruther to hold the nails, but he has trouble with which end goes up. The nails ain't the only thing that got whacked on the head, I'll tell ya.
It got so dang bad that we jest give up on usin' tarpaper and decided to use a giant airbrush thingy to paint on a stimulated version of tarpaper - probably ain't good enough fer no "Challenge" model, but it seems to work well fer us - the roof ain't leaked once, 'though I gotta admit, it's been a coon's age since we had rain. I still cain't figger how the dang grass stays so green lookin', neither. :? Here's a pitcher:
[Image: 100_5747.jpg]

Misngth Misngth

Messages In This Thread