P5se Camelback's 2010 Summer Structure Challenge GERN Plant
Kit-Scratching a Corrugated Metal Roof

“Packaged Goods Shipping” has a large entry door on the end that will face the layout edge. Just as loading dock employees are afforded shelter from the weather, so should those who work in close proximity to that door be afforded some protection. So …

Amongst the many small parts included in the Superior Bakery and Weekly Herald structures which volunteered their walls to this project, were a number of clunky corrugated metal roofs. The tops of these roofs present a decent representation of corrugated metal (although not quite as nice as the Campbell corrugated siding material) but the clunky solid sides molded under that decent approximation totally blow the whole look of the part, as is obvious here …
[Image: EntryRoofRawMaterial.jpg]

So, careful use of a very fine-toothed “deep” razor saw and a little surgery with my little “former edge file” chisel/scraper yielded a useable part with which to fabricate the needed roof. So off we go, affixing the ledger board first, but initially just tacking if into place in two small spots so as to be able to adjust the angle of the board to the desired slope of the roof. Here we see the discarded pieces of the roof (to the dollar store clear plastic parts/scrap box) plus the tacked-on ledger board and the pieces that will be the rest of the framework …
[Image: EndsRemovedLedgerBoardAttached.jpg]

… and then adjusting the angle of the ledger board …
[Image: TheIntroductionoftheLedgerBoard.jpg]

… followed by the application of the sides of the roof framing …
[Image: LedgerBoardandRoofFrame.jpg]

… and a test fit of the fascia …
[Image: TheFinalFramingPiece.jpg]

Next, we test fit the roof supports to insure we have the angles correct …
[Image: Testfittingroofsupports.jpg]

As was visible to those of you who are observant and notice small details, in the previous photo there were some pencil marks which locate the points measured out for the drilling of #78 holes for NBW castings (the roof must be attached to the wall somehow, right?) So … we next drill the holes for the NBW castings …
[Image: DrillingforNBWcastings.jpg]

We now have holes drilled and NBW castings at the ready …
[Image: HolesDrilledNBWCastingReady.jpg]

So … using tweezers and an Optivisor, we place the NBW casting in the pre-drilled holes with the long tails protruding from the rear of the ledger board extensions and apply solvent to the back side.
[Image: InitialFramingandNBWcastings.jpg]

In the interest of disposing of any rain water, a 0.625” hole was drilled in the “indication of a rain gutter” for a down spout (to be added later) and then a “proper” height adjustment was made to the front of the gutter, once again initially tacking it on, making the angle adjustment and then soaking the joint with solvent and when dry/hardened, applying some Squadron Putty to smooth out the joint in the gutter …
[Image: SquadronPuttytoSmoothJointinGutter.jpg]

Ends are attached to the gutter with generous amounts of solvent applied two or three times before actual attachment to soften the mating surfaces to insure that the joint will disappear …
[Image: Blendingadditionstoraingutter.jpg]

Because I wondered if the roof would actually look the way I initially saw it in my “mind’s eye,” I stood the building on its back wall and set the roof in place for an “Oh, Yeah! Looking Good!” photo. Big Grin
[Image: AnAppearancetestfitOK.jpg]
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread