Bedroom Switching Layout Design
Yard and industry turnouts are Peco small turnouts. Remember, this layout will be operating 40' cars and short locomotives. In the latest revision mainline turnouts (the ones being used by passenger equipment at least) are Peco medium turnouts.

Here is an overall plan:
[Image: aroundthewallsshelfmkii.jpg]

Changes in this revision:
-Upgrading mainline turnouts to mediums instead of smalls
-Replacement of random industry spurs in lower left with an interchange-this is more prototypical and will fit the space better
-Added/moved crossovers in yard area to let local switcher handle passenger switching easier
-Re-arranged turnouts at bottom of tire plant where trains exit east leg of the wye

On the last point, here is a comparison of before and after designs of this area:
[Image: tireplantdetail.jpg]
At the top is the new design, bottom the old. As you can see from my EXCELLENT artistic skills, in the old design trains taking the primary arrival track at the passenger station would have to negotiate three turnouts, making an awkward S curve. In the new design trains going to either track will only have to go through ONE turnout and both options will provide a nice, gentle curve. The new plan uses the same number of turnouts in this area and lets the mainline ones be upgraded to mediums.

And finally, here is what I'm thinking of building first:
[Image: aroundthewallsshelfmkii.jpg]

This will get me started on what should be fairly straightforward benchwork (I'll probably build this as a shelf) while still having trains to run. I can even attach a temporary staging yard at one or both ends. The paper mill trackage (bottom of plan) is still not finalized but the lead is how I want it so that's not super important.

Man, I'm getting really excited now. My local club should be having a meeting on Tuesday; will be my first time there and hopefully I can make some good contacts. If I get really ambitious I'll start cutting lumber next week...WOOT!

Messages In This Thread