Pumping up the air!
For the record: The NYS&W GP-18's were the BEST unit I ever used in yard operations. They each had a "fast start" switch on the control stand that was perfect for "kicking" cars in the yard. I ALWAYS preferred EMD over GE units. EMD units were always "ready to go" while it seems GE units took "forever to load".

Coming out of Little Ferry, NJ with NYS&W SLN-5 one Friday evening, we had 4 GE B-40's as power on this train. (this was back when we leased most of the B40 fleet from CSX) Once we hit Butler, NJ and started to climb the Sparta grade - all 4 B40's lost traction in the curves west of Butler. There we were, stalled on the hill with all of the crossings in Butler blocked. I had 16,000 HP folks and not one of them would bite into the sand we laid on the rail. The dispatcher could not belive it either - he "informed me that I had sufficient horsepower" and I should not have stalled. HMMMMM how about that.

A switch crew - WS-3 - was working at Passiac Jct, and was sent to give us a "shove" to get over the top. What did they have for power? Yep, good 'ol 1800 - a GP-18. And as soon as she coupled on and got our brake test done, it was ready to go. Those 1800 horses dug right in and gave us enough momemtum to get ny 4 GE units to dig in as well. In no time we had the train up to 30 MPH. We had the "pusher" cut off at Sparta Jct - they had work there later anyway, and we were on our way. No problems the reast of the way -even at Gulf Summit.

Once the GE lost traction - it was hard to get it back. Not so with a EMD. I love that EMD power!
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!

Messages In This Thread