doctorwayne's Summer Challenge - Part II: A shanty...
A little more progress to show, with construction time stolen from some 1:1 scale projects.

I brush-painted the buildings and the doors and windows that will be installed later (still need to construct and paint some window shades, which will be cemented to the interior of the already-glazed windows before they're installed in their openings).  I also added a simple foundation made of heavy timbers (.100"x.100"strip styrene, distressed by dragging a razor saw along the length of the strip, before the individual pieces were cut from it).  The front "porch" is .020"x.100" strip, also textured with the razor saw.
Two of the shanties will be installed on level ground, so a low foundation was sufficient:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos102.jpg]

The other shanty will be situated between a main line on raised roadbed and a siding on lower ground, so a higher base was necessary:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos107.jpg]

Here's a look at the underside:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos101.jpg]

...and a look from the top - you can see how the floor of the interior is notched to receive the interior corner posts of the shanty:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos105.jpg]

This view illustrates how the interior and exterior corner posts are located.  The structure is designed to be removeable from its base, and the roof removeable from the structure.  The stove was made from a piece of 3/16" diameter styrene tubing, with the top punched from some .015" sheet stock.  The stove pipe, which mates into the "thimble" on the underside of the roof, is .080" styrene rod:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos104.jpg]

I also brush-painted the interior surfaces of the walls and roof - all three structures will be close to the front of the layout, and, with so many windows, need to at least appear complete.  I may add more interior detail, but if it looks like too much will be required, I'll simply have the watchmen draw the shades on those windows facing the viewer.  Wink  357  Misngth
I was finally able to locate some gelled contact cement to use for shingle installation, and, even better, managed to include its almost $20.00 cost in with that of the 1:1 reno supplies.  Thumbsup  Shingles are next, along with window shades and door and window installation.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread