Using photos on structures
nachoman Wrote:I would think this would be one of those things that could look okay in photos, but not in person. Maybe for background or temporary buildings I would consider this, but I tend to see texture on buildings that is a wee bit deeper than mortar joints (window sills, door and window recesses, gutters...) Icon_lol Once you start adding all the details that are large enough to create texture, you may as well just build a building the conventional way.
Cheers

No matter how small the variation, I think the eye/brain is more aware of texture. Stand as far from a building as you stand in scale feet from a model building with "Photo-bricks", and you will see texture, that you won't see on the model.

Or.........let me put it this way. A camera has one eye, most of us have two, and therefore depth perception, which is relatively sensitive in resolution of "texture".
The "three foot rule", in HO scale, is the 261' rule in 1:1 scale........and I think, in reality, the eye can perceive texture at 261', even that of mortar joints, especially if the light hits it from the right angle.

How many times have you seen the "edge of a decal", and just how thick is decal film?
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread