Possible Scale Switch
RobertInOntario Wrote:
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I think the points made in this thread is why I belong to a club. I don't really like N-scale, but I won't insult anyone else who does choose to model in the smaller scales like N or Z. It just isn't for me. I also realized a long time ago that I can't do a lot of mainline railroading in HO scale in a small to medium sized space. Therefore, my home layout will be an isl, but I can run long trains at many modular club set ups. Model railroading is all about compromise. My favorite layout is the Tehachapi layout built by the La Mesa club at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum, but even that layout as big as it is is a compromise. It is only 1/3 the size of the real Tehachapi in scale. Basically the club made one hill for each three on the prototype. On a small layout in HO, you will have room for a small local freight.

Yes, all good points. I realize you mention that you can't model much in the way of mainline railroad, but there is quite a trend in "micro" HO layouts, i.e. where you develop a section of a layout and also shelf switching layouts. I'm working on a 1x4' switching layout at the moment and -- to my surprise -- am actually enjoying it! (I normally enjoy "tail-chaser" layouts more.)

I have built 1x4' HO switching layouts using snap track and snap switches with 0-6-0Ts and MDC 36' boxcars and reefers...Not bad,but,I prefer a minimum of 6' for HO switching layouts.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread