ocalicreek's 2010 Summer timber truss bridge challenge
Here's my hat in the ring.

I had contemplated a turntable or perhaps an enginehouse, but that's for a section of the layout farther in the future. More immediately I need a bridge across an as-yet-unnamed creek. I have, as mentioned on my layout thread a few weeks back, a Tyco plastic 'steel' pony truss bridge that looks okay :? but it just doesn't suit my fancy. Since this branch leads to the little hamlet of Pinto where the Ocali Creek Railway interchanges with the Big Tujunga Lumber Company, I can surmise that lumber was more available in the timeframe this bridge would have been constructed (1900's) and became the default construction material.

I'll be following the old Whit Towers article from MR, since reprinted in the Bridge & Trestle handbook from Kalmbach. He actually used 00-90 rod which he threaded and then fastened & tensioned with tiny little nuts & washers. I'm crazy, but not that crazy! Besides, 00-90 scales out a little too large. Haha.

No timeline on when I'll get started, but I hope to be done by the 9/7 deadline. There's still a few outdoors & home repair projects to complete, but I want to press on toward the goal of laying some track and getting trains running, hence this little bridge project to get me back on track, literally. The layout effort has stalled with all the summer fun...too many things to do!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread