What Era, Railroads, & Locomotives are you set on?
I actually model different railroads and eras depending on where I'm operating. My home layout will be a switching layout based on the Los Angeles Junction or LAJ. I'll be modeling fairly modern on that layout, but cut off date will be @ 2005. I will be running one Cf-7. I think the LAJ was through running the Cf7's and used the LNG units borrowed from the parent company BNSF from the mid 1990's on, but they had the CF7's for back up until just recently when they decided to get rid of them. My railroad will be protolanced (is that a word). I'm going to try to do it after the prototype, but it may get some free lancing of industries.

It will be in a 7' x 9' "L" with the "C" yard starting in the corner and continuing on the 7 foot section. I'll have the Great Western Malting Company on the end of the 7' section. Another reason for a 2005 cut off, the GWM was closed and torn down sometime in the last few years and the silos replaced by a tilt up warehouse.

On the 9' leg I'm going to model a part of District Blvd in Vernon. On District in a space of something like 1/4 to 1/2 mile, 5 LAJ spurs cross the street from a yard behind the industries on one side of the street to industries on the other side of the street. I'll just have two parallel tracks behind the buildings on one side with enough cross overs to allow me to beak up a train into cuts and shove cars into all of those industries on the opposite side of District Blvd.

I also belong to a modular club. Their I model the Santa Fe in the mid 1950's I also want to build a module set of the South West Portland Cement plant in Victorville as it existed in the mid 1950's. and of the quarry located 13 miles or so from the plant. The quarry will be modeled off layout and the run from the quarry to the plant will be compressed considerably to fit on 2- 6 foot modules. I may add a third 6 foot module to allow a longer quarry run.

I hope to join the La Mesa Model Railroad Club at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum to run late 1940's-mid 1950's trains on their Tehachapi layout in the future, but finding time to do that is probably a year or two off into the future.

Messages In This Thread