What Era, Railroads, & Locomotives are you set on?
tomustang Wrote:Do you have a time frame where you're set, time of year?

Are Steam, Diesel, Electric or all/some of both?

What are your railroads and what's the rolling stock consist of for deliveries/industries?

Is it Freelance or Compressed Prototype or even exact scale replica?

Protolanced, I guess - inspired by a real place and a real time, but not really attempting (any more) to model one specific location exactly (or compressed) - just trying to create a look and feel.

Fall of 1957 in the riverside Milling/Warehouse district of Minneapolis. It being the harvest season, grain is pouring into "Mill City". The Omaha Road is being merged into parent company Chicago and Northwestern. Minneapolis and St. Louis has just gone to the red and white color scheme. Still lots of rail served businesses along the river in Minneapolis. Steam is almost totally gone, but once in a while a steam engine is used for extra work. Still many builders of diesel locomotives - diesel engines do not all look the same. 40-foot cars are still in widespread use.

Engines include a 2-8-0 (I finally broke down and ordered it, after Reinhard put the idea in my head quite a while back :-), an EMD GP7, an Alco S1 and couple of RS3s, a GE 44-toner and a GE 70-toner. Not all of which will be on the layout at the same time.

Railroads - depending on my mood I probably will vary which locos are run at any time - Omaha Road, Northern Pacific, Great Northern and maybe also Minneapolis and St. Louis.

Rolling stock - mostly 40-foot boxcars, carrying grain, various manufactured goods, less than carload cargo etc, some reefers - carrying produce, dairy products and beverages, tank cars carrying various chemical and oil products, the odd gondola or flatcar of machinery and such things.

Industries - a couple of mills (one perhaps being redesignated a GERN Plant), a railroad freight house, a team track, a linseed oil plant, a barge terminal, a produce terminal/cold storage, and assorted warehouses - toiletry products (Burma Vita Co), dairy products (Land of Lakes), wine & spirits (Destiller's Distribution Co). Maybe squeeze in a power plant track into a corner.

Just got started building again this weekend after a long summer break.

Smile,
Stein

Messages In This Thread