Suggestions for scratchbuilding this?
Since you'll be using the building as part of the background, I'd go with .060" sheet styrene, then cover it with printed stone. You'll probably need to print your own arches for those over the windows.
However, instead of cutting openings in the sheet, cut it into strips representing both the vertical and horizontal wall sections- score-and-snap works great with this thickness. Obviously, either the vertical or horizontal strips will need to be cut into sections to allow for continuous strips in the other direction. Cut additional full length strips to rejoin the original strips - you can place some of the vertical ones on the exterior of the walls, representing the pilasters - and, of course, leave openings wherever you need a window. In areas where all of the bracing must be placed on the back (unseen) face of the wall, do either the vertical or horizontal ones as continuous strips, add spacers running in the opposite plane, then cap that with more full-length strips.
If you plan on using commercial window castings - both Tichy and Grandt Line offer windows for masonry buildings - you can size your window openings very accurately using this method.
To attach the "stone" paper to the walls, use contact cement - "prep" the plastic by first applying a coat of lacquer thinner using a brush of suitable width - this prevents the solvent in the contact cement from being drawn into the styrene, which weakens the bond. Lacquer thinner is also the perfect cement for styrene - cheap and permanent. Use in a well-ventilated area and/or wear a two-stage respirator.
I tried searching for "sheet styrene" or "sheet polystyrene in Norway", but had no luck - the closest I found in a quick search was India. Nope Misngth However, I can't believe that it's not available - check sign makers or sign makers supplies, or contact one to find out where they get their raw material - I wouldn't be surprised if you could purchase a 4'x8' sheet from them directly. And the sheets are easy to transport, even if you have to take the bus - it rolls-up easily, and a couple of wraps of tape will keep it so until you get it home. Use a utility knife to cut it - it will dull blades quickly, and these replacement blades are cheaper than those for your X-Acto.

I agree with Andrew's suggestion of floors to be eliminated, and you could also shorten the height of each of the remaining storeys by a couple of scale feet.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread