Suggestions for scratchbuilding this?
Hmm - you all make good points.

Wayne - thanks for the idea about cutting strips instead of cutting out windows, and for the idea of gluing paper to the styrene.

I've been googling for "skiltmaker" (sign maker) and "arkitekturmodeller" (architectural models), and learned that the local high school in my home town has a design class that also does shop displays and such things. Will try to contact them to ask where they get their materials from.

Also learned that Plastikard is a name to use when looking for styrene sheets in Europe - it is really a trade name from a British company, which offers quite a few patterned/embossed types of sheets.

Reinhard - you are right that the challenge would seem to be to get the stone pattern to match up with the windows and edges. Might work better if I use a pattern of irregular larger stones, rather than a pattern of identical size bricks - cut off stones might not be quite as noticable as cut off bricks - at least not from 20" away.

Andrew - you are right about it being smarter to drop floors 2 and 3, as to keep the signature combination of windows on floors 4 and 5. Wayne also made a good point about shrinking the floors a little in height.

Will make an attempt at a paper model later in the week - am too tired tonight, after 14 hours at work.

Thanks, guys!

Stein

Messages In This Thread