Conrail GP15-1 build... JUST DO IT.
In 1994 Conrail worked with Nike in presenting a Nike advertisement during the Boston Marathon. It involved painting a GP15-1 with the JUST DO IT. slogan and parking it near where the runners were going to be running. According to a Conrail employee magazine, the unit 1621 was chosen because it had just been painted, but not yet had graphics applied. The unit was sent to Boston, where Nike had a sign company put the slogans on. The 1621 wore this special paint scheme for less than 72 hours, perhaps less than 48. Here are the only 2 pics I can find of the unit.

[Image: scan0002.jpg]

According to the article the slogan JUST DO IT. was placed on the sides, the fireman's side can be seen in the photos. Judging from items such as grilles, blower housing, etc. I did some calculations and came up with a height of about 42 inches for the slogan. The article also states that the swoosh was placed on the ends of the hood, fuel tank, and roof. If one looks carefully the end of the swoosh can be seen on the nose of the unit, just above the class light. One could surmise that the rear swoosh held a similar, if not exactly the same, position. There is a swoosh below the number, barely visible in the photo. The fuel tank swooshes were likely centered on the tank. Using the nose measurements I am using a 5 foot length for the swooshes. The roof, not being visible in the photos, is unknown. My best guess is a swoosh on top of the cab. I don't know if I will model that or not.
-Dave

Messages In This Thread