L&N Industrial Rail Spur
Gary and Reinhard;

After spending some more time this morning positioning track on the bench work, I'm inclined to agree with both of you and for a several reasons.

Including the runaround track does help to capture the flavor of the prototype industrial spur that this is loosely based upon. Also in the era I model, the crew would be working with one of these neat L&N cabs when they worked the spur, which adds some additional moves to the operation...         BUT ALSO something hit me on the head and when I came too, it dawned on me that I could operate the layout as different themes should the mood strike me.

It could be operated as the industrial spur; as a separate small short line operation with a GE 45 tonner or as a station along the L&N main line where either a switch crew works out of or the daily local freight arrives in town, switches the industries and then leaves. I've worked these type jobs many times myself.

Although the overall operation would be pretty much the same, it would add a little more variety. I also think you're right about adding a track or two in the staging area, if for no other reason than a place to store cars.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread