Southern Pacific Switching Layout
Nice deceptively simple track plan, but with plenty of operational potential. Following Jack's operating scheme, you'll probably be surprised at how long it would take to switch a plan like this. It's not unlike the temporary track I put down a week or so ago. I may even adopt something along this theme myself - a remnant of a former line that survived being abandoned in order to serve a handful of industries.

I'd treat the "main line" crossing the way Jack was originally going to do it on his plan - track and crossing removed, but a few old ties still in the ground to clearly show that the two lines once crossed here and an out of service signal still standing guard at the crossing - perhaps even an old interlocking tower too like this:     Of course, you could also treat it as if your short line continues on toward the left and place dummy operating signals protecting the crossing.

You still have room on the right leg of your plan to add a third small industry if desired - a team track that holds a couple of cars is one idea that comes to mind. Good spot for your scratch built unloading dock.

You could temporarily fasten your track to your benchwork and give it a try to see how you like operating it. Even using just a few cars, you may be pleasantly surprised how long it takes you to work a typical session following prototype operations and having to place your cars at the paper plant per instructions of the customer.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread