Best running GP60M on earth
Tom Wrote:Great work. Is there any way to modify the old Athearn sideframes to fit? The reason I ask is that the GP60M had a slightly different sideframe than the GP40 (Blomberg "B" on the GP40 versus Blomberg "M" on the 60 series). What is causing the front steps to droop down? Is that fixable?

The drop down front steps were caused by a too tight screw of the front coupler. I fixed that.
The trucks are even more complicated. I did convert a second engine and used my second FEC GP40 for that. Looks like Atlas has two version of FEC GP40 on the market. While the first one (on the photo) has SMD LED and only the inner breaks on the trucks has the second unit standard LED and breaks on both sides of the axis. Looks like they are complete different trucks. The Atlas web site offers only a GP38/40 truck. That must be the longer one (left on my photo). I do have two SP GP40. They have both the shorter trucks (right on the photo).

This pdf file shows both trucks used by Atlas for the GP40 http://www.atlasrr.com/pdf/PartsPDFs/HO_...Page_2.pdf

I did not try to exchange the Athearn and Atlas truck side frames. I do not want to tinker with the perfect running Atlas drive.

Second unit on the left, first converted unit on the right
[Image: Img_0382.jpg?t=1287438448]
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread