The Hjemstad Line
Thanks, Galen. I have a rather small apartment, and needed a layout that could easily be rolled away for storage when needed to. I wanted an Inglenook puzzle, a continuous loop with a few sidings for switching, and tracks leading to the table edge for cassette staging. Here's the last trackplan I made for it (the turntable arrangement was just an idea, and was never actually realized):

[Image: Inglenook_oval_06_w1200.jpg]

The tabletop measured 105x185 cm (about 3' 5" x 6' 1") and was designed to fit through my doorways. I got the pivot idea from a layout on the Model Railroader forum, and built the legs with 48x98mm, 19x98mm crossmembers and 250x250mm wood shelf brackets. The whole assembly would come apart by just pulling out the 16mm steel tube in the center.

With a minimum radius of only 450mm (about 18"), I realized that I could never run the steam engines I desired, and that was the main reason for abandoning that layout. My current layout has a minimum radius of 600mm (about 24"), which is the recommended minimum radius for my brass models. Visually I would have preferred a larger radius, but I just don't have enough room.

--Svein

Messages In This Thread