Poll: Do You run DC or DCC
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DC
32.69%
17 32.69%
DCC
63.46%
33 63.46%
Arm chair
3.85%
2 3.85%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

DC/DCC
Magnetic reed switches come in several varieties - latching and non-latching, normally "ON" or normally "OFF", etc. Non-latching ones return to their "normal" position once the activator magnet is removed, while latching ones switch to the opposite setting when the magnet is brought close, and latch in the new position.
On a locomotive, the switch would be located between the power source (pick-ups or pick-up wiring) and the motor. This is an even better option than switches to kill track sections - for example, if I send out a loco with a train very close to its tonnage rating and it, for some unrelated reason, stalls on a grade, my present option is to back down the hill, kill the track and send out a helper from the nearest terminal. (Another choice is to split the train and "double" the hill.) With a "kill" switch in the tender, I could leave the loco and train where it stalled, and, because the track is still "live", send out a helper which could couple on to the front or rear of the train. Then, with the switch on the stalled loco reset, the train could proceed. This would also make it easier to add or remove locos to a consist, as it could be done anywhere.
Great suggestion, Les, and something more to keep me busy. Thanks. Goldth

Wayne

Messages In This Thread