Amtrak / PC GG-1 Passenger Car Variance
:hey: OK you history experts...here's you chance!

I've got both the Amtrak and Penn Central versions of the Kato GG-1 in Nscale ordered - as well as the Kato Penn Central E8 and matching PC passenger car set. So, I have been pouring over pictures online of exactly what passenger cars they historically pulled. (Now, I plan on running my GG-1's on an "excursion" train with an Amtrak P42 supplying the actual power requirements for both train and system needs of the passenger cars. So typical excursion trains will include the GG-1, E8, P42 and a mix of Amtrak and PC cars.) But looking at the old pictures for some guidance, what I've noticed is the staggering amount of names on those passenger cars the GG-1 had in tow from the 1960's to 1983! It seems to me, a PC or Amtrak GG-1 pulled just about anything and everything. This is just a few of the names I've seen in those pictures: Southern Railway, Santa Fe, PC, Amtrak Phase 1, repainted PRR and NYC, and NJDOT. There are probably more names I'm leaving out, only because the passenger car was so dirty, I couldn't make out the names.

My question to the mighty Northeast Corridor Experts now at their keyboards is this: Is there a listing of the various railroads supplying passenger cars that were wrapped into Penn Central then later Amtrak?

The reason is a simple one...my LHS owner has two Walthers passenger cars in Atlantic Coast Line silver body/black roof colors, and I've seen lots of pictures of silver sided/black roof passenger cars just like these Walthers cars being pulled by the PC and Amtrak GG-1's, but can't make out the name on the real-life car. So you could be helping me create a more accurate excursion train mix of cars, and helping the economy and my LHS owner by convincing me of the historical significance of those cars that I have to buy them.

Would I be accurate to add the ACL cars - as well as other Northeast (fallen flag) passenger cars - to a mix of Amtrak Phase 1 and PC cars to a GG-1 excursion train? Granted, I realize that running an excursion train gives me free reign to pull just about anything I wanted, but I'd still like to honor the historical significance of the railroad history with the choice of cars being pulled.

Thanks guys. Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread