Bridge at Mason Park
RE: ripples only in the middle of the bayou

doctorwayne Wrote:Well, a copy of the photo taped to the layout fascia would silence any critics, provided you do a credible job on the ripples, and there's no reason to doubt that you could pull it off.

Had the thought to do the ripples onli in the middle to see what it looks like... if it looks strange, I can go back and add ripples all the way to the banks.

doctorwayne Wrote:The application of gloss medium can look very effective, although I've never tried it. I'd do a test to see what you get. You could also try using a much wider brush - this may make it easier or may make it appear too uniform or too heavily rippled. Depending on the "body" of the medium, you may have to keep repeating the dabbing action as it dries, or simply wait for it to thicken, then hope that you've a long enough window of "working time" to complete the job. Gloss (or matte) medium goes on milky white, then clears as it dries. I'd keep the water's surface painted, and apply the medium un-tinted - that may give it an extra dimension of "depth".

Brainstorm - wide brush, cut out a staggered portion of the bristles making it like sawteeth, and get a bunch of ripples for each push into the gel.

doctorwayne Wrote:Well, ya gotta ask yourself one question here. Do you get some gloss medium and make a few tests, maybe one on EasySand 20, one on painted styrene and anything else that springs to mind? Or do you just go ahead and do that bayou with a product you've never used before? So, are ya feelin' lucky, pal? Personally, based on your performance as demonstrated repeatedly in these pages, I'd say go for it, but there's no shame in trying a few trial runs, either.

Will do a trial run! Although it wouldn't be too hard to sand down whatever mess I made of it and start over.

doctorwayne Wrote:Another option, if you can find it with proper-looking ripples, is to use rippled glass. Paint the water surface as usual, then overlay it with the glass, ripple-side-up. This would require, I think, a re-working of the banks, though.

Maybe a piece of "rippled" 2x4 florescent fixture lens? Not one with a uniform pattern, but with random ripples. Still, those ripples would be too big I think.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread