Athearns New 53' Wabash Duraplate Trailers
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Josh,
Just a little info on the companies those trailers belong to. This is from memory from when I worked in the trucking industry, so I may not be totally accurate, but I think I am remembering correctly.

Dart is a common carrier, that is they haul ltl (less than trailer load) from one warehouse to another where the freight is off loaded from over the road trailers and loaded into 27 foot "pup" trailers for local delivery. I think a Dart trailer will always be pulled by a Dart tractor.

I'm not sure about Knight, I think they run all company equipment; but not ltl. I don't think I've ever seen anything but a Knight tractor pulling a Knight trailer.

Schneider is another story. They have a lot of company tractors in the orange livery, but they also ship a lot of trailers intermodal which are then picked up by owner-operators for delivery. You will usually see a Schneider tractor pulling a Schneider trailer, but you might also see an owner-operator's tractor pulling them.

Swift is a leasing company. Some of their leasers will also lease tractors from Swift which may be in Swift colors or may not be. The owners of Swift also own a Freightliner dealership, so all Swift owned tractors will be Freightliners. By the way Carl's Jr owns their own trailers, but all of their tractors are leased from Swift. They are painted in Carl's Jr graphics, but occasionally you might see a Swift tractor pulling a Carl's Jr trailer if one of the Carl's tractors is in the shop and they need to get a replacement.

US Express, I've seen, but I don't remember it too well. I think they may only have trailers, and hire owner-operators to haul them. I think they do a lot of mail contracting to haul mail and packages for the USPS, but I don't remember for sure.

Thanks for all the info Russ Misngth

I think i have cabs for all of them, its just a matter of painting and decaling them lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread