Montreal VIA hits teens
Gary S Wrote:Quote from the article:

"He agreed with Downey that sometimes the hobby can be dangerous and wonders what kind of "peer training," if any, the teens received."

Hobby? Since when is trespassing and vandalism and violating the law considered a hobby? But in our upsidedown world, it wouldn't surprise me if VIA Rail gets the blame, and has to do something to warn graffiti artists of the dangers. Maybe some big signs can be placed at popular grafitti spots - "Warning - the Surgeon General has determined that standing on railroad tracks can be dangerous to your health."

EDIT: Just dawned on me, VIA Rail is probably owned by the government, so maybe they get a reprieve.

VIA is indeed run/funded by the Canadian government, after CNR/CPR couldn't turn a profit on passenger trains.

I had the same thought about the use of the word "hobby" to define criminal (or at least misdemeanor) activities. I had an interesting discussion at lunch the other day with someone about how less and less of the language is meaning more and more, and how semantics are becoming so blurred. And then we wonder why we can't understand each other even though we use the same words.

Andrew

Messages In This Thread