ezdays 2010 EOY challenge
Track work is my downfall, one thing that I don't particularly care to do, maybe because I'm so bad at it. Who knows. Anyway, on the "new" half of my layout, I've torn the tracks out three times already. The last time was about a year ago when Woodone (Jerry), came over to kick start me (or kick me in the rear). I've made progress since then, but it's slow and I've still got a bit of track to lay, wiring to do, manual ground throws to install and ballasting. One particular area that needs the most attention is the transition between the two sections. The old section is on a hollow-core door and is hinged to the base. I did it this way since I was having knee problems and wanted easy access to my wiring. I also have some storage space under there as well. The new section is fixed and I need a way to transition from one to the other while still having access to the underside of the old section. This has proven to be a real challenge since the slightest movement can cause the track to misalign. At one time I had three sets of tracks crossing, and that was just crazy. I now have one set and I have a solution that I started, now it's time to actually get working on it and this is my challenge. I'm going to try to finish up my trackwork, but especially, get that transition finished so I can run trains onto that half and back.

Here are some pics of what I have now:

This is the overal view of the new section. The transition is to the lower right

Another view of the trackwork. Messy at best, but it's been reworked beyond hope

This is the transition, I was going to make it a water scene, and still may

Transition partially open

Transition closed

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread