ezdays 2010 EOY challenge
P5se Camelback Wrote:If you decide to use rubber cement, go to an art supply store and get some "Bestine," a rubber cement thiner marketed by the company that makes "Best Test" rubber cement, the brand that most professionals that I know use (I've always bought it in gallon cans.)

"Paint on" some full strength rubber cement, add some ballast, pressing it in to the rubber cement. Thin some rubber cement with the Bestine to a runny consistency. Then add additional ballast and drizzle the thinned rubber cement on top.

Make sure the top is on the Bestine container very tightly, since in an evaporation race, Bestine makes alcohol and lacquer thinner look like a couple of turtles! Leave the cap off and you'll have an empty container in which to put something else in short order!
Today's the day I do some experimenting on a mock-up first. I have some MEK, acetone, lacquer thinner, 90% alcohol and CraftBond rubber cement. I was hoping that one of these thinners would work on the rubber cement and that I don't have to go to the store for anything this weekend. I was headed to Home Depot for something yesterday and had to do a "fly by" since the line to get into the parking lot was a block long, and that was late in the afternoon. Today isn't going to be much better out there.

It sounds to me like Bestine is about as volatile as MEK or acetone and I was hoping that either one of these would work. I was also hoping that I could use something like wax paper rather than a sheet of plastic to get more flexibility. Unlike with using white glue, there'll be no turning back with rubber cement.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread