DPM Wall Sections: Big Walls
For quite some time, I used Letraset to letter my EG&E boxcars: 36 point "Folio Bold Condensed" for the reporting marks, and 34 point "Futura Medium" for the numbers. The heralds and slogans were custom lettering from C-D-S. I later ordered a second set of custom lettering which included both reporting marks and numerals, plus heralds in several sizes. The slogan and all black lettering was eliminated. A third order changed to smaller reporting marks and numerals more suited to my back-dated layout, but also included dimensional data.

[Image: Freightcarphotosandlayoutviews118.jpg]

Some cars got the large version of the herald, usually with a black background:
[Image: Freightcarphotosandlayoutviews116.jpg]

Reefers usually got large heralds with the black background, but numbers were from Letraset Mini-Sets, and varied in style, as I had fewer cars to letter:
[Image: morestuffforsale037.jpg]

One class of reefers got the small heralds in white with no black background, and also received ampersands in the reporting marks - most cars got a small square to represent the ampersand, as there are very few on any sheet and, unlike most letters and some numerals, very difficult to make-up using parts of other letters:
[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007third-31.jpg]

And, to get back a little closer to the original topic of this thread: if you're applying dry transfers to brick or any type of mildly irregular surface which makes burnishing especially tedious, strong decal setting solutions, such as Walthers Solvaset, have a similar effect on dry transfers as they do on decals.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread