Rail Graphics decals
Puddlejumper Wrote: biL,
FedEx Kinkos, Staples, or Office Depot should be able to make high quality color copies for you.

Dave,

I know of places where I can get high quality color copies made … the design office where I worked (before the company closed it & hired a couple of fresh grads with no experience to replace the five of us with a collective 138 year’s experience) used Kinkos and several other places until the in-house VP of Design figured it would be cheaper to have our own machine. That was great! Wow!

But … I don’t need color copies. My artwork is black art on a white field. It is what we used to call … “Camera-Ready.”

I need a Copy Camera … or whatever the equivalent is in Today’s World. A Copy Camera (used to) produce High Quality, Super Crisp, Dense Black / Brilliant White images in exactly the size needed for “paste-up” for like, for instance, putting a decal sheet together. I could produce camera-ready art that was “400% Up” and then shoot it down to exactly the size needed for the boxcar-sized herald, print out six copies for Paste-up … shoot six copies that were caboose size, six copies that were steam loco tender size all using this artwork …

[Image: LSWHerald.jpg]

Then do more or less the same for Reporting Marks and Numbers using this piece of camera-ready artwork …

[Image: ReportingMarksNumbers.jpg]

… then rip out a dozen “Spelled Out Names” …

[Image: SpelledOut-PostCopyCamera.jpg]

… and then, to cover emergencies, shoot a couple Alphabet / Number copies for a separate decal sheet …

[Image: AlphabetNumbers.jpg]

From there, I would do my paste up (using a hot wax coating the back of the copy camera art,) making the best use of available space (no wasted space) exactly what I wanted on a 4 ¼” x 5 ½” sheet of decal paper, run that through the copy camera routine and then send that artwork to the decal house … Super crisp, super high contrast, exactly the size I need … all the decal producer must do is print them!

Maybe Kinkos or that type of copy house is the place to go … I don’t know … I guess I’ll have to pay them a visit and see.

I’ll check it all out and let you all in on what I find out!

[P.S. The light over my breakfast area table (model-building workbench) is not the best to shoot crisp, high contrast artwork! I had to do massive photo editing to get what I presented here … the original photos have a decided yellow cast to them … disgusting!]
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread