Building drawings
I don't know what is available in the U.K., but here in the states there are plastics dealers that sell all sorts of plastics for industry. You can get large sheets of styrene in almost any thickness. One of the guys in the modular club here, buys 4'x8' sheets of styrene in thicknesses he needs, cuts off what he needs for his modeling projects and then brings the rest to the club to sell to members for very reasonable prices. Evergreen probably makes their styrene in large sheets like that, then cuts it up into the small pieces that you find in the packages at the lhs. You might also be able to pick up left over pieces from a sign shop or company that uses styrene for other products. I have some pieces that are .080" thick and I think some that is .120" thick. Such thick styrene would probably work fine for building that depot, and it might be easier to glue the pieces together than gluing Hydrocal casting together.

By the way, the compressive strength of Hydrocal after 1 hour is 1,000psi, it's dry compressive strength is 5,000psi. There is another product called Hydrostone that has a 1 hour compressive strength of 4,000psi and a dry compressive strength of 10,000psi. Prices here in the States won't translate much to the U.K. but the difference in prices may give you an idea of the difference in costs for the products. The retail price for Hydrocal out here at my local ceramics supplier is $27.40 for a 99lb bag, the Hydrostone costs $31.80 for the 99lb bag at the same source.

Messages In This Thread