Tetter's 2010 EOY Challenge
Good Evening...

I'm done. Sort of. I had a couple of things I've been putting off for months but finally got out of the way. In each case I had some of the parts and pieces needed, but just not the wear-with-all or time to get'er done.

The first and certainly not the last thing to be done was the construction of my very own GERN STATIC GRASS BLASTER. I won't bore anyone with construction photos (besides...there are none...) as we've seen a couple of 'em put together here on BB already. However, here is a pic of the completed project.

[Image: SAM_0099.jpg]

Next is a sound decoder install and loco rebuild I've been putting off since last year. I completely disassembled this poor P2K SW900/1200 switcher and then placed all the parts in a zip lock baggie vowing I would not rebuild it until I was ready to put sound in it. Well that happened last night.

[Image: SAM_0088.jpg]

I had a very interesting time with this one. There were a few times where I thought to heck with this...I'll just throw this in another geep and get a Micro Tsunami for the SW9. But I didn't. So...

I purchased a Soundtraxx TSU AT1000 board and an MRC 3/4 speaker. Which in hind sight was probably too big a speaker, but I managed to the get it to fit. However not without some reservation and the idea to go back and "fix" a couple things...which is why I say, sort of, when I say I'm done. For now this will stay as is for a another week before I take a crack at making a smaller enclosure for the speaker. I think I found a rather unique place to put the speaker once I removed it from the factory enclosure. The weight over the front truck was removed and that left a considerable gap underneath the decoder, even after I got the LED w/resistor in place which is another "fix" I will go back to later on as the bulb looks rather dim as it doesn't line up well with the lens.

[Image: SAM_0098.jpg]

You can see the black factory installed enclosure at the back. I managed to get everything to fit minus the enclosure. However I had to sacrifice my cab crew and interior, in order to hide the capacitor inside the cab.

[Image: SAM_0092.jpg]

[Image: SAM_0090.jpg]

I was also visited by a new friend this morning as well. The tiny Spider here I think was getting a little impatient with me as it got to roaming around on those little legs "looking" at my progress for the better part of entire morning. I think my little friend wanted to go for a ride on my loco when she was all wired up and ready to roll...

[Image: SAM_0097.jpg]

I'll post up some pictures next weekend showing how I fixed the two issues I've noted. I hope to be able to build a tiny enclosure and get the front light better aligned to the lens.

Maybe then I'll move on to a bigger project which is layout based...hold on to yer hats for that one...

Messages In This Thread