Ann Arbor RR Mt. Pleasant Branch
In recent months I've spent a lot of time online on this site and others, pouring over track plans and layout photos, all the while amassing a collection of locomotives, rolling stock, and structures seemingly without rhyme or reason. After a recent move, I've decided to finally build a layout.

Other than a 4' x 8' featuring the World's Greatest Hobby E-Z track pack, this will be my first attempt at a model railroad. I believe chronicling the experience here will benefit me in a number of ways. First and foremost, it takes only a few moments in these forums to recognize the collection of expertise and skill that is present- so I am hopeful that many of you will be kind enough to provide your feedback and insight as I progress with this project. Also, I believe that making the public commitment of posting updates on the layout will motivate me to make timely progress on the layout. Finally, the desire to continue sharing will help ensure that I take the time to document and photograph the progress I do make.

After some exploration, I've chosen to model a fictional branch of the modern Ann Arbor Railroad. This branch runs through my hometown of Mt. Pleasant, MI and interchanges with CSX. Historically, the Ann Arbor RR ran right up the heart of Michigan, connecting Mt. Pleasant with the rest of the world. However, today our only rail action is the daily Great Lakes Central local on its run to Clare or Cadillac/Yuma. And, while I'm making up this fantastic world in which a colorful array of trains passes through my central Michigan town, there may be a few new Amtrak routes added to the timetable!

The space I've allocated to the railroad is somewhat constrained. The train will be in a guest bedroom, and there is a need for it to be relatively unobtrusive. The benchwork I've decided to use is the now popular shelf with hollow-core doors topped with 1 1/2" extruded foam. The layout is L-shaped with a 13' leg and an 8' leg, the width of the doors is 15". The fascia is 1/8" masonite, as is the backdrop.

On the long leg I plan to have a team track and material lay down area, some building flats representing some small on-line industries (as well as some non-rail served industries and housing for scenery), as well as a runaround track. In the corner of the layout, behind the main and yard lead, will be a grain elevator (the dominant on-line industry in this region of Michigan). The short leg will feature an engine house with a small three-track yard that houses a fuel pad and sanding tower. Beyond the engine house is a 4' removable staging cassette.

I have the benchwork complete, and the track laying is progressing well, so I hope to be able to add some photographs soon. Also, when time permits, I will be drawing a final version of the track plan.

Messages In This Thread