Modern times / modern equipment
There is another annoying dimension to modern times- Passenger trains. I suppose this isn't so different, there STILL is never enough space for a real platform, but there are some ways you can have passenger trains in a small space with modern equipment.

These days, Push pull sets are the norm. If not push pulls, the good old Multiple Unit car. Many would tell you that commuter operations are impossible to do in a "tight" space. In a way, they are correct, most ROOM sized layouts don't have the mainline length to run a commuter train realistically from one stop to the next without only going for about 30 seconds. They also need broad curves

HOWEVER, the push pulls give you another option. Suppose you model the Philadelphia Area in the modern day. On the former Reading lines, Two AEM7 push pull sets run express trains between West Trenton, NJ, and 30th Street Station, Philadelphia. Each train is 5 to 6 cars long. You could have this in a small space by having a second "mainline" with double tracks with hidden staging tracks on each end. This doesn't even have to connect to the layout. Simply install automatic stop and start machines, and you could conceivably have a pair of commuter trains that flash by back and forth in the back ground. Since they don't ever need to turn around, they can just go back and forth, Pushing and Pulling.

All the Extra lighting these days is also a problem with the Modern equipment. All those Cab Control cars need to have head lights, Marker lights, and maybe ditch lights (even the locomotives may need these added!) When its all done, it looks great, but it can be irritating and expensive to add feature decoders to all the underpowered units. Simple switches below the car wouldn't be ideal, since unless you're just turning the markers on and off, the Cab car behaves more like an un-powered locomotive, part of the consist in DCC.

Every modern commuter service i can think of runs push pulls, and there are models to match anything you want if you look hard enough.

My SEPTA AEM7 in push mode.

[Image: 215and1708005sl4.jpg]

[Image: 72710stufffrommikefoley.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread