Real Dirt and Magnetic Particles
Gary S Wrote:Maybe there is a good reason to use alcohol as a wetting agent! Kills any critters hiding in the dirt?

I guess I should bake all the dirt I have collected, eh?

Alcohol might get some of the stuff.

I actually boil things i want clean from nature. When i've taken "Natural" objects to be placed in pet cages and such, we always boil them. I'm sure baking would work though. i never thought to try it any differently.

Truthfully, you probably don't need to nuke the dirt, you just need to overcome the resistance of whatever spores are hiding out in the dirt. Fungi and other microbes may not be able to grow on that patch of dirt by the road, but they do survive as well protected spores that are difficult to kill, and can last a long time. You can't see them, and they are so small that they can go unnoticed even under a microscope, but they float around. in a dark, possibly damp area (like your basement), these organisms hatch from their spores and can cause you trouble.

If fungi takes hold in your layout, it will be to late to get rid of it. It forms microscopic filaments that often spread MUCH farther than you can see (Ever see a small mold spot on bread? If you take a microscope, you can see the filaments spread far from the dark areas, that to the naked eye, look "clean". the dark areas are just the fruiting bodies. its not the rest of the organism). These spread the spores and are resistant themselves. You'd likely have to remove much of your scenery, even beyond where the obvious "growth" is. At this point, spores may already be in the air and spreading.

Not meant to be scary, its a small chance that it can happen, but it doesn't cost much to cook your dirt for 15 minutes or so to be safe, compare to the possible damage contamination can cause.

I really hate my Microbiology class! Meh, i'm still gonna play in the dirt!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread