Railroad modelers on The Gauge
For years I had thought that the hobby of model railroading was becoming more commercial and less "personal creativity". Like the hobby was losing it's personality. Granted, there will always be some personal creativity, as each model railroad is different, each track plan and landscape created by it's owner. Reading old issues of the popular train mags you see the modelers of yesterday, with their scratchbuilt malleys and consolidations, running on handlaid track. Scratchbuilt structures, even home built transformers and dispatcher panels. Today all of these things are available commercially, and it is not uncommon to find the same kit built structures, trains, tracks, etc. on many layouts. I had thought this to be the doom of creativity in railroad modeling.

That being said I just wanted to make a statement. The modelers here at The Gauge have proven to me that not to be the case. The collection of people here, with their varied interests and talents, have proven time and time again that the "art" of model railroading, and railroad modeling, is alive and well. I will not list names, as I would undoubtably miss a name, or several, that deserve equal recognition, but the modelers present here at The Gauge represent some of the finest modelers and craftsmen in the hobby today. From scratchbuilt bridges and buildings, fine model railroads of modest, and not so modest size, shelf layouts, custom built steam and diesel locomotives, kitbashed figures... I remain impressed at the skills and abilities of the group. Indeed, the skills, and principles that started this hobby almost 90 years ago are still alive and well. And even though many of us will never acheive the official rank of "Master Model Railroader", many of you are, indeed, masters in your own right.

I would love to recognize individuals here, but again, I would inevitably leave someone out. So many of you have been an inspiration to me, and I look forward to watching and learning from you in the future, as I embark on my own journey to build a railroad model of my own. If I am able to acheive half of what you guys have shown me you are capable of, I will be in good shape. Thumbsup

Thanks guys!
Dave
-Dave

Messages In This Thread