Removing acrylic caulking from cork roadbed
You should be fine witht he foam. My previous layout was in an unfinished basement and in summer it was a struggle even with a dehumidifier to keep it dry enough, in winter it was plenty dry but hard to heat as there were only a couple of small space heaters. Never had a lick of trouble with anything shifting or buckling. The extruded foam is quite dimensionally stable. The previous owners of the house left behind 2 gallons of black interior paint (what they had intended to paint black INSIDE the house, I have no idea) so after I built the wood frames to hold the foam, I painted all the exposed surfaces, ust one quick coat so it certainly wasn't sealing the wood, but it may have helped, plus it was a flat finish so it hid the legs. I never had a problem with expansion or contraction of the wood pullign the foam loose, either. Frames were basic box frames of 1x4's, the foam was glued to the narrow edges of the 1x4's with yellow glue. I even managed to bash my head against the foam from underneath more than once and STILL it never popped loose.
This experience prompted me to stick with the same basic techniques for my current layout, even though it is in a more regulated spare bedroom environment (I have heat and AC!).

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com

Messages In This Thread