Removing acrylic caulking from cork roadbed
An update to the problems I was having:
The the buckling track has been an ongoing problem, but to day while trying to correct it I have found the source of the trouble. I was following David Barrow's domino approach to building benchwork. I like the idea of nailing a laminate over the top of the plywood tabletop so the table could be reused if the track work ever needed to be changed. Well that laminate is the source of the trouble. I did not paint the underside of that laminate before a nailed it down. With the high heat and low humidity in the room over the winter, the laminate warped pulling itself away from the tabletop thus causing the buckling.

I'm happy I have found the source, but it looks like there will be some effort to fully correct the problem. So for the time being the Burbank branch will be under reconstruction. The track plan is solid and the operations are as I had envisioned, so the plan will stay the same. I will redo the tabletops using the plywood as the base, with no laminate, and relay the track work an hopefully be running again soon.

This is not a knock on Dave's domino idea, I still think it is a great asset, but in this particular application and installation it did not work. I think the main cause was not sealing the underside of the laminate and using too small of brads.

On to the rebuild!

John
John

Messages In This Thread