your railroad related presents
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:When I was stationed in Germany, I built the 1/48 scale model from Monogram. Had to leave it behind because I had no way of getting it home. The thing covered the desk I had in my room. The wing span was over three feet long!

Nothing train related. Except maybe the joy of watching the grand anklebiters carefully pilot garndpa's Rivorossi "Big Boy" around the layout. but that was after thier PSP's they had just gotten, batteries went dead, and no charger.
Another model railroad joy(Before everytime they came for a visit, they wanted to run the trains)lost to today's electronics.

That sounds amazing. O-scale bomber! its a shame you couldn't take it with you. I bet you could have installed some batteries and some motors and flew it home! note to self.. build working B36.... unfortuneately, it turns out my kit had doubles of some sprues, and was totally missing another sprue. But thats ok, i don't need all six propellers, or a right wing!

I remember reading somewhere that the B36 had reliability problems. It was popular to say "six turning, four burning". In response, some would say "two turning, two burning, two joking, and two smoking, with two engines not accounted for."

Even so, it is an impressive aircraft. I didn't even know such a thing existed until i walked into the Cold War hangar in the USAF museum at Wright Patterson AFB. At the time, it was the largest airplane I'd ever seen (in fact, i think its wingspan is still technically larger than the B52, C5, and other monstrous air force aircraft). I think i was only 10 years old or so, so that only added to its impressiveness. I remember thinking the propellers had to be taller than my house.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread