Visors/Lights for MRR work?
pgandw Wrote: ... This is what we found:
- to avoid eyestrain and fatigue, adequate brightness was critical. ... Clerical work - reading and writing and typing - should have at least 100ft candles at the work surface. Shop work with tools should be 150 ft candles or better. ... It's expensive, both to install and operate,

But will reduce the number of lawsuits having to do with damaged eyesight, as well as reduce the number of injury accidents which can be attributed to workplace illumination.

pgandw Wrote: ... although the high frequency flourescents are much more efficient.

But contribute to worker eyestrain ... low-to-mid level fluorescent ambient lighting coupled with high-candlepower incandescent task lighting is the best, according to recent scientific Human Factors studies.

pgandw Wrote: ... Work spaces that are not adequately lit induce the eyestrain and fatigue ...

Entirely, totally, 100% correct!

pgandw Wrote: ... Having a spectrum similar to sunlight has a significant positive impact on emotional well being. ... When we switched from standard flourescents and yellow sodium lights to "happy lights" (full spectrum flourescent lights), we saw a 20+% decrease in behavior incidents that required supervisor involvement. This was with a workforce of 20-40 year old males who were allegedly pre-screened for suitability for Alaska living. The behavior, emotional, and productivity improvements under the happy lights certainly paid for the extra cost of the full spectrum lights. Bottom line: lighting levels impact eyestrain and fatigue, spectrum influences emotions. ... Fred W

And here we have one of the best reasons for proper lighting in the workplace!

Nice work ... I applaud you and your assoociates' efforts. Your results paralleled almost exactly the results of studies done in the late '80's by a group of Human Factors scientists, a study relating physical and psychological workplace injury to improper workplace lighting. [... a study which I used when I did the interior design for the Sperry Corp. (now Unisys) Corporate Industrial Design/Human Factors Group's office space.]

I'll assume that morale increased and workplace injury decreased as a result of your lighting changes!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread