The end is nigh...
I'm rather surprised at the responses to those old cars and also to those photos that my good friend Ed posted. The express boxcar is an old Kurtz Kraft flat kit from, I believe, the late '50s. I bought it quite a few years ago, unbuilt and unpainted in a plastic bag at the LHS - only a buck or so, if I recall correctly. The trucks (none were included with the kit) are from Athearn, the same as those on the Athearn reefers crudely rebuilt with sliding plug doors. Like all cars, locomotives, and structures in that "EG&E" green, these were brush painted and lettered with dry transfer alphabet sets.
A word of caution to anyone contemplating a free-lance model railroad (or a prototypical one with a long name): make sure that commercial lettering is available or pry open your wallet to get custom-made lettering. Over the years I have lettered almost 90 pieces of EG&E passenger equipment, most with Elora Gorge & Eastern in the letterboards and all done using dry transfer alphabet sets. Many of these were in that green paint, although there were some stainless steel cars, too. In addition to that, there are around 40 diesels of various types lettered using decal alphabets, all brush-painted, somewhere out there in the model railroading world - this doesn't include any of the stuff which I've sold in the last few years, either.

Here's the diesel paint scheme in colour (an Atlas SD24):
[Image: EGESD2481-1.jpg]

...and a few more in b&w...

Atlas SD35:
[Image: Film4-15A.jpg]

Athearn geep:
[Image: Film1-12A.jpg]

Globe F7, in pusher service:
[Image: Film4-17A.jpg]

Another Atlas SD35, with a scratchbuilt "safety" cab:
[Image: Film3-4enlargement-1.jpg]

Wayne